Thursday, April 17, 2008

Quiet time isn't always good...

My sweet Oakley has decided this week that he's too big for naps. Does he not know that he's going to be begging for naps when he gets older and he's not going to have the luxury of being put down to rest?! Anywho, for my sanity, when the kids don't want to nap, I tell them they have to have to at least have some quiet time. So, off to the bedroom Oakley went one happy afternoon day. (Just for reference: this particular day we were baby-sitting so Oakley had his quiet time in my bedroom.) He slept for about 1/2 hour then I started to hear him chatting up a storm. Since I heard no crying, I let him be. He went on like this for about another 1/2 hour. I started feeling like a bad mother because I should be playing with him when he's happy and awake so I went to save him from his crib.

To my suprise, here's what I found: My adorable baby boy, a full box of tissues he'd reached from my nightstand, a doorknob and very unhappy kid (I'm sure it's because he got caught!)




Here's what's funny about the situation. After I opened the door and saw what Oakley had done, I exclaimed, and not in an upset voice 'Bubba, what happened?!' He immediately started crying complete with those big crocodile tears. I had to laugh out loud! He'd pulled all of the tissues out of the box and then proceeded to shredd them one by one. What made the picture even funnier was when I noticed the bathroom door knob was off the door...

... and laying on the floor. (He's not hercules, it's been loose for a while)

I guess I've learned my lesson, quiet time doesn't always mean the kid is being good. I guess I"ll have to make sure everything is out of this kids reach when I make him have his next quiet time! :)

5 comments:

Misti said...

That is so awesome! I love it!

Jami said...

That little stinker! I think that is too funny. Anytime Ellie can get close to a tissue box she does the same thing. I love the picture of him with his sad face.

valumama said...

so funny!
i don't think you have to feel bad for leaving him happily chatting for 1/2 an hour... i do that regularly. it is really the only time shelby gets away from me (and visa versa) when she is awake... i think it is good for her. (guess i just need to make sure there is no klenex box close by:)

Em said...

love it, love it. Ethan used to have roomtime when I took a shower in the mornings, and that ended when he became a climber, and when I came into the room to find white Eucerin cream smeared all over his entire dresser. :) You don't really learn just how much they know how to do until you leave them by themselves for awhile, huh?

Adri said...

The doorknob thing is really funny!